Follow stephenrmaddox on Twitter

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Less Talk, More Rock


I sat in the lawn at a concert waiting for it to begin. This tour was two main headliners, an opening act that switched half way through the tour, and a last minute addition. The last minute addition (not a bad band name now that I think about it) was an up and coming band. I had heard one of their songs before.
As they played their set they found it appropriate to talk in between each song, longer than the duration of the song itself. When no one responded, cheered, or clapped they would throw out the phrase, “Are you looking forward to ‘headliner’ band!” To which people would then cheer.
In college my friend Cesar Cordero would throw out the phrase, “Less talk, more rock” to bands that had diarrhea of the mouth. Our band included. We talked way too much.
The next band played their set. The only time they said anything was in between song two and three to say their name. They had a tight sound, great stage presence, fluid transitions, and an overall good performance. Part of the reason in my mind is they didn’t annoy us with banal banter.
For me, when I go to a concert I didn’t pay to listen to a speech. I paid to listen to you play and sing. If I wanted to hear a speech I would find one that I actually felt smarter after listening to it. I feel like I should get a partial refund every time an artist speaks during their set. When I bought your record I didn’t hear you talk on it. Please don’t do it when I pay to see your music live.
     I’m not saying they don’t have a right to speak. I’m just saying that at a concert the time is limited and I want to hear the maximum amount of music as possible. If you have something to say, talk after the concert is over or write a book where an editor can help you. You can even blog if you want, but every time you stop your show to speak you kill the momentum in your concert.
Let your music speak to me, let it move me; let it speak to me far more than plan speech itself. Music and lyrics can go further than a spoken word at times. Use that to your advantage.
In life I feel it is best to decide when to speak and when to listen. People feel at times I’m too quiet, but I would rather speak when necessary. I’ve learned a lot about people and situations by listening and not speaking.
All and all, rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment