Follow stephenrmaddox on Twitter

Sunday, October 28, 2012

3% Chance of Miscarriage (Part 1)


A good friend once asked me what it felt like after our first miscarriage and my only reply was, ”I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.”

Stephanie and I have been through three miscarriages. What I write is not exhaustive of everyone that has gone through a miscarriage. Also, it isn’t necessarily the best example of a way to go through them. This is our story.

After being married for three years Stephanie and I decided we would not hinder the possibility of getting pregnant. She had been taking birth control pills and stopped. Her periods were irregular so it was hard to track the ovulation cycle. With that it then took another three years before we got pregnant.

My brother and his wife had gone through the situation of a miscarriage, but, like most things in life, until you experience it yourself you’ll never truly understand. Just like being a parent for the first time is incomprehensible in the feelings that you’ve never known to exist, so is a miscarriage.

Not having thought that a miscarriage could happen we told anyone and everyone. The reason people wait until after the first trimester to tell the big news is because the fewer people that know, the fewer people to make it into an awkward situation.

Stephanie started spotting and was nervous about it.  Quite a few people said not to worry about it since it can be normal in pregnancy. Several went on to tell her how they spotted during their pregnancy and it ended up being nothing. The other thing Stephanie did was Google it. It’s helpful that you can find anything online but also not at all. You could have the smallest symptom and end up thinking you have one week to live (like when I got nine tick bites, although I did end up with some pretty nasty stuff).

The doctor’s office had us come back several times and drew blood to check on “numbers”. I know what that means now but it was weird at the time. Ultimately the numbers weren’t increasing like they were supposed to so they did an ultrasound. We were around nine/ten weeks at that point. The body size in the scan showed growth to about seven weeks (right around when we were telling people, which doesn’t account for any degeneration) but for some reason her body wasn’t trying to force the tissue out.

Not long after finding out we were pregnant we were looking through one of those pregnancy books with pictures of the baby at different points of development.  We had jokingly started calling the baby “Wally” because one of those early pictures looked like a walrus.  One of the most depressing images to this day was seeing the tissue slumped on that 65” plasma TV as it looked like Wally lying on his side, not alive.

The doctors office talked us through what was next; letting the body do its job or having a D&C.  They gave us pamphlets to look at and read. A miscarriage is horrible for a woman but also bad for the guy. In the pamphlets they called him the “silent sufferer”. There is nothing you can do for your wife or your child that didn’t make it. We were distraught, confused, disappointed, hurt, and more, but I will assume you get the point.

They scheduled the D&C for a couple days later. Everything went as planned. We had some very kind friends stay the entire time with us through the procedure. For your first one you slip in and out of moments of normalcy, lunacy, and comprehension. You’d go from sitting there thinking nothing to tears streaming down your face (thanks Coldplay) in seconds.

Through it our friends and family were very loving. Checking in on us. Simple things make a big difference.

One of the saddest moments was when I came home from work, walked into the bedroom, and Stephanie was sitting on the bench in front of our bed holding her stomach weeping. Her only words were she missed Wally.

The baby’s due date would have been my grandfather’s birthday, March 16, 2010. One problem with telling too many people early is for weeks and months people would walk up to Stephanie and ask how far along she was, if she knew the gender, and how she felt. Makes for some pretty terrible times. It’s not their fault, they didn’t know.

Through all of this I spun into depression and made a series of bad decisions that were already in a long line of them. I wondered if, since my life wasn’t right, I caused this. The enemy won out on that one. It takes hitting rock bottom to get back up again. I should have made my bottom a lot shallower than I did. I live with a lot of regrets but God is merciful and full of grace. He has blessed me with a wonderful family, great friends, and an awesome church.

So as not to thoroughly depress you, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. After a miscarriage you’re told to wait three cycles before you try again.  Unintentionally, we got pregnant after one.

On July 9, 2010 Frankie Jane Maddox was born. In May 2010 I took the necessary steps to set everything right, as I wanted to make sure I was bringing a little girl into the world to a Dad who was the husband and father he was supposed to be.

Love you, Wally!  We can’t wait to hold you.

Part 2 will entail our second miscarriage and the first time in my life that I ever called 911, which the call didn’t go through the first three times (curses AT&T)…

No comments:

Post a Comment