Follow stephenrmaddox on Twitter

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Off the Grid on Vacation


           We recently took vacation. It fell on our seven-year anniversary and concluded a packed six weeks of events. We started with rehearsals for Easter, Men’s Conference 2011 and its rehearsal, more Easter rehearsals, District Council, Easter Dress Rehearsal, Easter Express, Easter, Easter clean up, Women’s Rally, choir loft clean up, and graduations for CBC, EU, and Ozark High School. As well as it has been non-stop from last year’s women’s conference in October, through Christmas, up until the six weeks packed with events. I don’t complain about the work or dislike it. I’m a workaholic and am not afraid of work. This is what I signed up for and love it.
     This time I took my vacation a little differently though. I did my due diligence in making sure that everything I could thinking of, imagine, or come up with was discussed, delegated, and taken care of. I then e-mailed those that I work for and lined out what was taken care of and concluded my e-mail that I would be turning off my e-mail, ringer, and vibrate function on my phone. I also left it upside down on my nightstand so I wouldn’t see any pop-ups, even in my peripheral (thanks Brian Regan). Lastly, I explained I wouldn’t be on Twitter, Facebook, or blogging either.
     I had the best and most relaxing vacation ever. And it took completely cutting myself off from all outside interaction.
            Cell phones are an addiction. I will admit I felt in my pocket for my phone at the beginning of my vacation. It’s a fun device to mess with while bored waiting for nothing. But this allowed me to focus completely and totally on my wife and daughter. To work the hours it takes and have a good home front I felt this was necessary. I told our families the best way to contact us so we weren’t completely cut off in case of emergency.
     During the vacation I was able to watch my daughter transition from the army crawl to the full crawl. I was able to watch her learn how to pity/sympathy laugh. She now consistently can say Dad or Dada, the dog, one of the cat’s names (Hunter pronounced huntor/unter and Dexter pronounced deter) and other words. She babbles in conversation with me. She babbles in conversation with herself. We went on family walks, watched movies, went places together, and enjoyed one another's company.
     I was able to read 3.5 books as well. Finished Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer, and read BabyWise II, Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom, and Ford County by John Grisham.
     On your next vacation I dare you to completely unplug and enjoy your family. No one will care if they miss your constant social network updates and pictures. And if you feel like it is completely necessary you can do it your first day back to the online civilization. You will have the most refreshing time away that you can’t fathom. And your family will enjoy being with you as well. You might owe it to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment